Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Respect

Respect has always been very important to me in life. It is something that I definately expect from people and I try to give to people as well. But, do all people deserve respect? Do I deserve respect? It is a question that I have been asking myself quite a bit lately. I guess it is because I have been disrespected so much. In my line of business it is imperitive for me to be well-liked and build relationships with customers and potential customers. Some people might consider this as being a kiss-ass. I feel the same way about it sometimes. I find myself saying and doing things for people that I wouldn't do normally. I try to make my customers happy and make them feel important. Some of these people (most of these people) are not the type of people that I would generally hangout with and in some cases would not care for at all. But, if I want there business, I go the extra mile to treat them special. This normally leads to the customer treating me very disrespectful. Demanding things from me and treating me like a little bitch. I need to find a way to keep these relationships strong without turning into a fucking doormat. Herein the problem lies. How do I keep them happy without being disrespected. We offer a great service with great people, but so do alot of other companies in this area. There has to be something about us that stands above all others. I think that besides offering great service, the only way to accomplish this is through customer service. I am just trying to figure out how to do this well without being disprespected by these ego-inflated, self absorbed, ignorant fucks. Peace

3 comments:

Ray said...

I do not believe that there is a good answer. If two companies offer the same product at the same price, a person will buy based on his relationship with that company.

You know that as a saleman, you sale yourself. People buy from you, not your company.

If a customer demands fringe benefits i have no problem doing that. You need to draw a line in the sand and say "I will not cross this line"

You decide what is morally acceptable to you and then you can with a good conscience do everything up to that line.

For example, i had a customer insist i take him to the titty bar. I didn't want to but i did it anyway. You were with me when i did it. After that i decided i wouldn't do it again. I haven't.

Maybe you can come up with a number like .2% of total sales. Decide that you will not spend any more than that on this particular customer.

I don't have an answer, i am just trying to stimulate your thought process.

Ricky said...

Stimulation is good. Especially, the type that took all of my per-diem money and left me without a ride in a town very unfamiliar to me, knowing that I had to show up at work with "bells on".

Ray said...

I spent more than you and you WOULD NOT leave when we did. That one is on you homeslice.